So, Monday afternoon, as I sat hooked up to an I.V. for 2 1/2 hours, getting medicine pumped into my veins, reading a book about mistaken identity, and lost in my own thoughts, I start to appreciate the quiet that will surround me for the next few hours. Suddenly, the nurse comes in, begins fighting with tubes and poles, and takes the chair across from me out of the room. She says " You are going to have company for about a half an hour, I'm bringing in a patient in a wheelchair". My thought.... GREAT... here we go! In comes this man on oxygen. He's chatting with the nurse, talking about how they are going to put something in his leg so he doesn't lose his foot, and might not be in treatment tomorow. He has quite the sense of humor. He asks for a diet coke and the nurse kindly complies. All of a sudden he goes "So... where are you from sir"? YOU CAN IMAGINE MY SHOCK! I thought to myself " Me? Do I look that terrible today?" Apparently the "me?" slipped out and he said, "Oh... it's a lady". I said "Yes... I'm a girl". His next words were something I didn't expect... " I'm blind ma'am... I'm sorry". That's right folks, I was in a room with a blind man on oxygen, who had a port in his arm so that they could easily administer all of the medications he gets on a daily basis.
The next half an hour breezed by as me and "Mr. T" talked about our lives, our travels and experiences over the years. He was engaging beyond belief. He asked me about my life... what I did for work... how often I came up there... and where I saw my future roads leading. He told me about his daughter and his wife, what he did for work prior to being sick, and the wonderful adventures he took growing up. As his machine beeped for the conclusion of his treatment, he said to me "Thank you young lady for making my day, and this daily treatment more bearable than usual". For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had a true and genuine impact on someone's day.
As he was leaving the room he turned and said, "keep your chin up little bird, and keep doing what you're doing". I had no words to say back except " I plan on it, you take care of yourself". In a half an hour, "Mr.T" gave me a gift. He reassured me that what I do, and who I am, is good enough... and most importantly... that by just listening and sharing... I can make a difference in someone's day. Thanks "Mr. T" for reminding this "little bird" that it's ok to fly.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment